"We're here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is" (Kurt Vonnegut)
- and its working!
But its not over yet. Some of us are more wary than others. Please wear a mask as a courtesy to others when moving around the building. Please ask at reception if you don't have one.
Adapt, survive, repeat.....open! (and we are)
We contuinue working to government guidelines, our own risk assesments and common sense
The show goes on...
We have been 'See It Safely' approved
We have been granted the use of Society Of London Theatre & UK Theatre's 'See It Safely' mark.
The mark certifies that we are complying with the latest Government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, to ensure the safety of our staff and audiences. Read on to find out more about the measures we have been putting in place ready for your visit, and what you will need to know beforehand.
We continue to:
- Reduce the number of people using spaces in the building
- Maintain COVID safe cleaning regimes
- Make available bottles of hand sanitiser and wipes throughout the building
- Open all the doors and windows to aid air-flow and fill the place with potted plants that cheer us all up (and calm us all down).
We also ask that everyone wears a mask as a courtesy to others when moving around the building, washes their hands often and practices self-distancing. And if you are using a space, please take responsibility for wiping down touch points at the end of your session.
Our guiding Covid risk assessment in line with government guidance is here
We don't want to catch it and we don't want you to either
Please do not enter The Cockpit if:
- You have, or think you might have, Covid. If you feel ill while you are here, let us know, pack up and go home.
- Anyone you live with has Covid, or thinks they might have Covid
- You have been asked to quarantine by NHS.
- Please use hand sanitiser on entering.
- Please wear a mask when moving around the building. (Some shows may have additional requirements)
- Please be aware of others and self distance from those you are not going home with. We have adjusted capacities to allow for self-distancing. If you feel unsafe please talk to a member of staff who will direct you to the duty manager.
- Wash your hands frequently. Use hand sanitiser after you’ve touched anything in the building including yourself.
- Chillax and be lovely. Slow down, give space, take space and please read and comply with signs. All signs are current, up to date and may change according to circumstances.
- You've got this far, it’s great to see you. You are welcome here.
We have returned to ticket holders choosing their own seats on admission to the auditorium. Everyone is encouraged to practice self-distancing and we have reduced capacities to allow for this.
Additionally, some shows will still have managed social distancing or other measures in place. See individual shows for details.
This describes how socially distanced admission to The Cockpit may work:
- You may be asked to queue outside, so wear weather-relevant clothes and please let us know in advance if you or anyone you know has a mobility or standing difficulty boxoffice [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk
- We will check you in on arrival. You may be asked for ID so please have some handy.
- We might show you straight into the auditorium - unless you need the toilet.
- There may be one way systems in place. Our gorgeous stewards will guide you.
- With some shows, in the auditorium, another gorgeous steward will check our seating plan and show you to your seat(s). Like in a restaurant. Otherwise you will be invited to choose a seat and self-distance.
We will be running a normal bar service with extra tables for your drinking comfort.
Please wear a mask when moving around the building.
Or staying at home
We continue to develop online shows, events, classes, scratch nights, readings, meet-ups as well as live-mix filming and streaming opportunities.
We offer a growing range of ways to get things online - whether or not you want to use The Cockpit as a live venue.
Find all of our On Demand shows and films here
Find all of our Live Online shows here
Find all the information on becoming involved with our broadcast here.
Find information on using our space for film shoots here
All the shows, classes, scratch nights, readings, meet ups, films and events we are broadcasting are all here. Click on the event to find out more and how you can get involved.
If you can do it COVID secure you can do it at The Cockpit, subject to current regulations and guidelines.
● Film shoots
● Rehearsals where activities can be run in line with DCMS guidance
● Workshop/devising sessions where activities can be run in line with DCMS guidance
● Classes - where activities can be run in line with DCMS guidance
We also host:
Read more here about Government performing arts guidance
We have to manage this according to the kind of activity in the room, the mix of activities in the building and the need to avoid over-crowding
The figures below are a guide. But not all activities should max out occupancy. Its important you describe your activity and stick to the maximum numbers we agree with you.
● Studio 1 - Usual Maximum 20
● Studio 2 - Usual Maximum 15
● Studio 3 - Usual Maximum 20
● Usual Maximum 150 in thrust 200 in the round
● Usual Maximum 12 each
COVID House Rules for everyone booking space at The Cockpit. (These rules also form part of our terms and conditions and studio user’s guide)
· You must undertake a Risk Assessment. You must also follow current guidance for your particular activity https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts.
· Do not enter The Cockpit if you are at all ill. If you feel ill while you are here, let us know, pack up and go home.
· Use hand sanitizer on entering The Cockpit.
· Please keep your distance from others unless you dont mind catching what they've got or they've said they want what you've got.
· Please follow all signage. It is current and up to date.
· Wash your hands frequently. Use hand sanitiser after you’ve touched anything in the building including yourself
· Wear your mask when moving around the building.
· BEFORE YOU LEAVE Please wipe down all surfaces you and your group have touched by hand before you leave, using the cleaning materials in each space.
To confirm your booking:
· Please make sure you have undertaken a risk assessment for your activity in the light of the pandemic. This must include provision in line with current DCMS guidelines.
Please pay for your booking in advance by the date agreed with you - we cannot take payments on site. All bookings remain unconfirmed until paid for and will lapse once the due by date is passed unless paid up..
· Please come prepared to slow down. Social distancing, hand washing and cleaning take time.
· Please bring drinking water with you.
Prior to arrival:
You and your group must not have tested positive or have symptoms of Covid-19. Please CHECK THIS wirth your group and ask them to test if you are in any doubt.
If you or someone in your group starts to show symptoms of Covid-19 while you are at The Cockpit you are to tell a member of staff present and pack up and leave immediately.
Please make sure you have all the info and equipment you need before you arrive.
(We are really sorry but we are not always able to assist with photocopying or any other admin work just now, or offer reception services for you or people in your group or working with you.)
Remember to sign in using the book on the right in the entrance lobby
Please respect our staff when they are cleaning, when the cleaning sign is up please give them space to do their job to ensure your and their safety.
Hand washing & social distancing: there are soap dispensers in the toilets and various sanitiser pumps located on site, please use them! It's easy to forget but please remember social distancing still applies to luvvies! please respect others and keep the 1m+ rule!
● Slow down - and please comply with signs.
● Leave time for cleaning. And wash your hands frequently. Use the sanitiser.
● Pay for your booking and get your admin sorted before you arrive. Bring everything with you and take it away
● Know your group, make certain they are not unwell and make sure we have correct contact info.
● Risk assess your activity. Ensure your group members comply with the resulting measures you put in place. Wear masks in line with current guiodance when moving around the building
● Give space - take space. Stay apart. If you feel ill - let us know and leave immediately.
We are connecting with and supporting everyone however we can.
Please stay in touch by joining the Mailing list at the bottom of the page. Also don't hesitate to get in touch with us via reception [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk if you think there is something we can help with.
We are working on ways to help our local communities as well as our broader arts community and will love to hear from you.
We are broadcasting shows and series online, screening films, putting things on our social media. We also film and/or broadcast shows from the main space. Visit our Broadcasting page for more information
For live shows with live audiences, to ease things along for everyone, we are happy to schedule many events on a loss-free To Be Confirmed basis: we do all the creating, talking and contracting in advance but only put tickets on sale once we know the show can happen. Until then all deposits remain fully refundable, and it's easy to postpone things to a later date further down the road if we need to do that.
The clause we are using is here:
Covid 19: Provision for postponement.
This clause provides a means whereby business can be conducted, agreements made and shows planned and prepared while providing for postponement on a 'no loss' basis.
This contract shall stand to enable both parties to progress preparations for the show. This includes preparing tickets for sale and publishing the show dates in the normal way marked ' show to be confirmed'. No tickets to be placed on sale at this stage.
The contract shall become fully operational when and only when both parties have agreed by email to proceed on a confirmed basis and place tickets on sale.
This confirmation can take place at any time with respect to prevailing circumstances. Both parties understand that, depending on circumstances, it may not be possible for it to take place at all.
Up until confirmation takes place, the show and contract can be cancelled by either party by written request at any time.
Otherwise the assumption remains that the show go ahead on the agreed dates below or on deferred dates later, as a postponement, to be agreed by both parties, if mutual confirmation of original dates turns out not to be possible.
Meanwhile and until such mutual confirmation, all deposits paid remain fully refundable and no cancellation conditions apply to either party.
Once mutual confirmation of the show going ahead is made by exchange of emails. All cancellation conditions apply as usual on both sides.
Of course, with social distancing, ultimate audience capacity for a single show can be reduced but the Cockpit is a big space and many shows are still viable and able to attract good audiences, often insentivised to book as group tickets. Take a look at some of our shows online to see how we are pricing things.
We are particularly keen to mount two houses of shorter shows over an evening rather than just a single house of a two act show. This costs little more to do than pre-covid times and generally achieves even better financial viability than pre-covid times. Email Dave [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk if you'd like to discuss this and include a phone number.
Studios & Box Office - reception [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk
Tech, location hire, film shoots, auditorium rehearsal dry-hire - deb [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk
Theatre hires and collaborations - dave [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk
Contracts, Website, theatre hires - beth [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk
Finance - finance [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk
Broadcast - tom [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk
Marketing - kat [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk
Theatre Maker Classes - theatremaker [at] thecockpit [dot] org [dot] uk