In this practical, sensitive and tailored workshop, we will explore ways of accessing different emotions and emotional states, without taking a psychological toll on the actor.
Inspired by the theory of multiple intelligence, this workshop emphasises kinaesthetic (bodily) intelligence: listening to the body, using breath to find emotion and return to neutral, and movement-based techniques for creating character.
Who could benefit from this course?
- Theatre Makers who are looking for an alternative way to access emotions and unlock organic performance.
- Actors who struggle with ‘leaving the role behind’ after rehearsal or performance.
How does it work?
- We will explore exercises inspired by a range of techniques including Butoh, Lecoq, and “Emotional Breathing Patterns” - a breathing technique to generate organic emotions.
- We will concentrate on working individually, and also observing others in order to experience the exercises from the audience perspective.
- We will discuss how these exercises can be used practically for rehearsals and devising.
- The course will be held on Zoom, with physical exercises adapted for limited space in participants’ homes. The course is suitable for those with limited mobility, and the exercises can be done sitting down or standing.
What do you gain?
- Learn tools to safely access deep or difficult emotions.
- Avoid post-performance ‘emotional hangover’ and protect your mental health.
Dates & times
3 October 3:00-5:30 (standard course)
7 November 3:00-5:30 (standard course)
5 December 3:00-5:30 (advanced course*)
*recommended to take standard course first
Cost: £15 per workshop
Rasa Niurkaite is an award-winning theatre director and dance dramaturg. She graduated from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland MA in Theatre Directing. After graduating Rasa worked across Europe and in 2017 co- established theatre company STIGMAcollective based in London. In 2019 she started developing the Kinesthetic Intelligence Workshop that she has since taught in London, New York, Copenhagen and Vilnius.
“This is a great course, I feel that I’ve gained some excellent simple tools for generating emotions which could otherwise be hard to connect with.”
“It’s helped me evoke emotions with my body and facial expressions with damaging my mental health. This for me is extremely important, as in the past I would draw upon personal experience which would sometimes leave me feeling distraught. I highly recommended every actor to have this in their tool box. “
“Highly recommended... A bit like yoga, it takes you into the connection between mind and body, into those spaces where unconscious action happens.”
“I was so surprised and impressed by the breathing patterns: after a few moments, I could feel the emotion developing just from what my body was doing, without the psychologically draining ‘what-ifs’ or ‘sense memory’ from other acting schools of thought.”
Amy Clare Tasker
"Online acting workshops are not an easy thing to do but Rasa and Amy are a great team and I logged out feeling I really had a strong sense of what kinesthetic intelligence for an actor is. It was so good to stretch my acting muscle in such a safe space with people who care about their art and fellow artists. Thanks Rasa and Amy!"