Music and Words: Marco Galvani
On Stage - Live Performance: 7:15pm - 7:55pm, 6 August, £15/£5
Live Online - Interactive Broadcast: 7:00pm - 8:15pm, 9 August, £1
On Demand - Interactive Broadcast Recording: 9 August - 6 September, £1
Tickets are not yet on sale for this event. If you would like to be the first to know when they’re available, sign up to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Picking up where Karel Čapek’s seminal 1920 play RUR left off, Helena is both a sci-fi romance and a meditation on transhumanism.
Primus, a robot, and Helena, one of the last humans, have escaped to create a new life in secret. As Helena’s human memory begins to fail, the lovers resolve to find a way of uploading her mind before it is lost – and with it the last knowledge of how Rossum’s robots were created.
Marco Galvani’s new opera places live musicians alongside spontaneously-created AI music, in a piece that explores the nature of memory and creation.
The interactive broadcast includes a Q&A with the opportunity for the audience to get involved with generating music via Marco’s synthesiser!
Age range: PG-13
Content advisory: Dementia
We ask our audiences to stay home if there is any risk of infection, and to stick to 2 metre social distancing at all times.
We continue to:
- Reduce the number of people using spaces in the building
- Maintain COVID safe cleaning regimes
- Make available bottles of hand sanitiser and wipes throughout the building
- Open all the doors and windows to aid air-flow and fill the place with potted plants that cheer us all up (and calm us all down).
For this show we are keeping managed social distancing in place.
We also request that everyone wear a mask when moving around the building, wash their hands often and practice self-distancing. Our companies and audiences will include Clinically Extremely Vulnerable people. We want everyone to feel and be safe.
- You will be asked to queue outside in your bubbles, so wear weather-relevant clothes and let us know if you or anyone you know has a mobility or standing difficulty by emailing the Box Office.
- We will check you in on arrival. You may be asked for ID so please have some handy.
- We will show you straight into the auditorium - unless you need to use the facilities - where you will be seated in your bubbles
- There will be one way systems in place. Our gorgeous stewards will guide you and show you how to leave should you need to.
- In the auditorium, another gorgeous steward will check our seating plan and show you to your seat(s). Like in a restaurant.
We will be running a normal bar service with extra tables for your drinking comfort.
For more information on how things work, have a look at our dedicated Covid:19 page.