Music: Helen Caddick
Words: Verbatim from letters by Sophie Taeuber-Arp and Jean Arp, with poetry by Jean Arp and original text by Helen Caddick
On Stage - Live Performance: 7:00pm - 7:40pm, 7 August, £15/£5
Live Online - Interactive Broadcast: 7:00pm - 8:10pm, 10 August, £1
On Demand - Interactive Broadcast Recording: 10 August - 7 September, £1
What happens to a talented female artist when she’s part of an artistic couple? What pressures does she face? Taking as a starting point the joint 1937 work Marital Sculpture where two sections have been cut to expose the ‘inside’, this new opera is inspired by the extraordinary Swiss Artist/Dancer Sophie Taeuber-Arp and her relationship with the Dadaist/Poet Jean Arp.
A member of the Dada movement, dancer at the notorious Cabaret Voltaire and a unique voice across a host of diverse art forms, Sophie faced many struggles before her tragic death in 1943.
Weaving music, dance, verbatim, art and poetry, this is a work in progress; semi-staged extracts will be shared to coincide with the new Sophie Taeuber-Arp exhibition at London’s Tate Modern.
The interactive broadcast includes a Q&A with key members of the creative team.
Age range: All ages, but mostly adults
We ask our audiences to stay home if there is any risk of infection, and to stick to 2 metre social distancing at all times.
We continue to:
- Reduce the number of people using spaces in the building
- Maintain COVID safe cleaning regimes
- Make available bottles of hand sanitiser and wipes throughout the building
- Open all the doors and windows to aid air-flow and fill the place with potted plants that cheer us all up (and calm us all down).
For this show we are keeping managed social distancing in place.
We also request that everyone wear a mask when moving around the building, wash their hands often and practice self-distancing. Our companies and audiences will include Clinically Extremely Vulnerable people. We want everyone to feel and be safe.
- You will be asked to queue outside in your bubbles, so wear weather-relevant clothes and let us know if you or anyone you know has a mobility or standing difficulty by emailing the Box Office.
- We will check you in on arrival. You may be asked for ID so please have some handy.
- We will show you straight into the auditorium - unless you need to use the facilities - where you will be seated in your bubbles
- There will be one way systems in place. Our gorgeous stewards will guide you and show you how to leave should you need to.
- In the auditorium, another gorgeous steward will check our seating plan and show you to your seat(s). Like in a restaurant.
We will be running a normal bar service with extra tables for your drinking comfort.
For more information on how things work, have a look at our dedicated Covid:19 page.